Boxer reaches new heights
Taupō boxer Connor Campbell is now waiting on a decision about Commonwealth Games selection after excelling in a series of overseas fights.
His coach Marshall Powell from Nuki’s Boxing Gym says Connor’s name has been put forward to the New Zealand Olympic Committee for selection in the Commonwealth Games.
Connor was the only one of 11 New Zealand fighters to reach the quarter finals of the World Boxing Cup in Brazil late last month, winning his first two fights but losing the quarter final in the 65kg division in a split points decision.
Powell says that should be enough to make Campbell the number one choice for Commonwealth selection.
His good showing at the World Cup is on the back of other recent performances for the 18-year-old.
This year he won the Australian 2026 King of the Ring, and last year won the New Zealand National Championships.
Powell says there are no guarantees of selection, but they are now planning and training as if he is heading to Scotland for the Commonwealth Games from July 23.
His next chance to prove himself will be at the North Island Golden Gloves in Tauranga on May 29 – June 1.